Thursday 16 October 2014

Is My Video Post-Modern?


With the fact that I was writing essays on genre and narrative I looked at media theorists. Reading what the theorists had to say I noticed that merely everything that was noted by each theorist didn’t relate to my video in any way. I noted in my genre essay that “None of the theories apply to my music video. The video doesn’t follow the stereotypical aspect of videos which theorists such as Domailletalk about the fatal flaw, the indomitable hero or the dream comes true. Nor does the video follow points Todorov makes, such as the 5 stages of equilibrium, disequilibrium, recognition, action and restoration. Like stated before my video doesn’t have a story line, it’s merely following real life. Nothing is staged.”

Looking at theories made me question my entire music video. Would I be able to say anything about my video in the actual exam? I realised that instead of relating to theorists I could make points noting how unlike the theories my video was, I could argue with what the theorists stated and this would be how I’d form my essay. With more essay writing I will be able to write up a good discussion about my music video and in turn will make my essay interesting to read for the examiner.

No comments:

Post a Comment